“Omnipresent One, beneath whose all-seeing eye our mortal lives are passed, grant that in all my deeds and purposes today I may behave with true courtesy and honour.
- Let me be just and true in all my dealings.
- Let no mean or low thought have a moment’s place in my mind.
- Let my motives be transparent to all.
- Let my word be my bond.
- Let me take no unchivalrous advantage of anybody.
- Let me be generous in my judgment of others.
- Let me be disinterested in my opinions.
- Let me be loyal to my friends and magnanimous to my opponents.
- Let me face adversity with courage. Let me not ask or expect too much for myself.
Yet, Lord God, let me not rest content with such an ideal of manhood as men have known apart from Christ. Rather let such a mind be in me as was in Him. Let me not rest till I come to the stature of His own fullness. Let me listen to Christ’s question:
What do ye more than others? And so may the threefold Christian graces of faith, hope, and love be more and more formed within me, until all my walk and conversation be such as become the gospel of Christ.
You whose love to man was proven in the passion and death of Jesus Christ our Lord, let the power of His Cross be with me today. Let me love as He loved. Let my obedience be unto death. In leaning upon His Cross, let me not refuse my own; yet in bearing mine, let me bear it by the strength of His.
You who have set the solitary in families, I crave Your heavenly blessing also for all the members of this household, all my neighbours, and all my fellow citizens. Let Christ rule in every heart and His law be honoured in every home. Let every knee be bent before Him and every tongue confess that He is Lord. Amen.”
― John Baillie, A Diary of Private Prayer, pg. 43